Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Microwave popcorn in a paper bag

I've been hearing about microwaving popcorn in paper bag. A friend told me that there are rumors linking microwave popcorn to infertility. I haven't been able to track down any websites (that I thought were highly credible) that cited this information, but there is a lot of chatter over the concern of chemicals used in the microwave popcorn bags. So why not give this paper bag thing a shot, I thought.
I looked at a few websites and the theme was basically the same:
Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup popcorn
Oil is optional
Seasoning is optional
Use melted butter *after* the popcorn is done popping
Some sites say you can staple the bag shut, others say you should avoid it.
1 bag = 2-3 minutes in the microwave
As you can see, there are two bags in the picture at the top of the page. My daughter prefers plain foods and I like seasonings and spices.
I put 1/2 cup of popcorn in her bag.
I put 1/2 cup of popcorn in my bag, plus 1 tsp. oil and some lemon pepper seasoning.
I folded the top of the bag four times. When it was popping, I got a bit nervous that it would open, but it worked well.
The popcorn is delicious!!
WHAT I LEARNED:
2 bags of popcorn took about 3.5 minutes
1/2 cup of popcorn is too much for one person!
Add more seasoning next time
Happy popping!!

2 comments:

  1. I staple my bag all the time and my microwave has NEVER exploded! They're too small to reflect the micro-waves. Ironic, isn't it? :D

    ReplyDelete